- Bring a water bottle. I found standing on that lido deck all afternoon under the hot sun- a water bottle would've been super helpful. Its a lot of general admission types of events so if you don't want to forgo your spot, be prepared to stand there for a while and stay hydrated.
- Comfy shoes. I cannot emphasize this enough. Lots of standing around.
- Don't ask the boys for pictures before or after the meet & greet. They JUST took a picture with everyone on board and I don't think its fair to ask them for anymore. I've seen cruisers ask Brian for photos and he'll actually make this same comment. Be considerate.
- Bring extra camera batteries and memory if you get snap happy like myself.
- Take a moment and appreciate where you are. So simple but many fail to do this.
- Don't wait to take pics with your friends. So often I'd run into a friend and say "oh we'll take a picture later" but later never comes.
- Try to come down early or stay later in Miami if you can. Lots of fans in the area and its a great way to relax a bit amid all the chaos that is a Backstreet cruise.
- You have a better chance of a run-in when there is a solo event or everyone is aggregated at an event waiting for the boys. So for example when everyone is out on the beach waiting for BSB to show up, there's an increased likelihood of seeing them out and about on the ship. Similarly if everyone is up on the lido deck watching Howie's solo concert, there would be lighter crowds elsewhere on board.
- Best time to go merch shopping is first night during your dinner when the other group is in their event. Just sneak out in between courses. There's no one there and they still have all of the items available.
- Arrive at the cruise terminal early enough and you'll be able to see the boys arrive and board before everyone else.
Boys arriving at the cruise terminal
- Take advantage of the live streams of the lido deck on the TV in your stateroom. Good way to quickly check the weather or crowds without ever having to leave your room.
- Nick, Howie and AJ to a lesser extent all seem to like to hang out in the casino if they have some down time. I'm just saying if you have to cross the length of the ship, may as well pass through the casino.
- Take pictures with the cardboard cutouts sooner than later because last year they were stolen (dont even get me started on that) before the cruise was over.
Cardboard version of Brian, Kevin, Howie, Nick & AJ
- Act normal. Such a simple concept but as long as you stay cool, the boys will stay cool. As soon as things get out of hand is when they'll pull back from us.
- Get to events a little early if you can. Sometimes if you're lucky there might be a bonus sighting. I'm thinking of Kevin's solo event when he came out before he was supposed to and practiced on the piano a bit.
- Keep your eyes peeled in the main dining room during dinner for the boys. I've seen Brian and Howie eat there. Heard about Kevin eating in there as well. Meanwhile I believe AJ has been spotted upstairs in the buffet for dinner. Unsure about Nick but I've never seen him in the main dining room for dinner except that first year.
- If you need anything the first 6 hours or so on board, pack it in your carry-on. Otherwise be prepared that you might not see it for a while. (Credit to Cory)
- Don't waste time trying to meet people at certain places/times. It rarely works. Its easy for one of you to get caught up because you spotted Brian taking pictures somewhere or whatever the case may be.
- Pack layers for the deck party and plan for all types of weather. In the past we've experienced it all from hot sun and rain to cold windy nights. (Credit to Cory)
- To dial your friends cabin you need to enter the deck number then room number.
- Don't feel pressure to spend a ton on your theme outfits or door decorations. You can do as little or as much as you want in either category and be totally fine.
Friday, May 30, 2014
21 Simple Backstreet Cruise Hacks
Here are 21 (hopefully) helpful cruise hacks for both you first time and repeat cruises!