Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Why I Love BSB

When I was in Geneva seeing NKOTBSB, while I had a lot of fun during the New Kids portion of the show, I noticed it lacked something. It had all the right elements. The fun catchy songs. The slow romantic ballads. But it was still missing the magic I feel at when the Backstreet Boys are on stage. So what is it about BSB that I love so darn much?

Well, there's a tons of reasons. On the surface we can't deny the good looks, but it goes beyond the looks. There are the voices. AJ's deep raspy sound; Howie's sweet melodic tone; Nick's distinct soothing voice; Brian's smooth soulful vocals. And most importantly the combination of all of the above. Together and individually these voices could read me the dictionary and I'd still fall in love. How many musicians truly sound better live and acoustically than they do on the album? I can safely say I prefer the Backstreet Boys a capella. They have the vocal talent. Bottom line.

But it doesn't stop there. The songs they sing, write, and produce are so amazing all in their own way. Songs to inspire and console in hard times; and enliven and electrify you in the good times. There's a song for every mood. When I feel like dancing, I jam to some Poster Girl or Larger than Life. When I feel like being mellow, I pop in Millennium and enjoy some Spanish Eyes. When my heart is aching I have Inconsolable or Shattered. If I'm feeling romantic I can listen to Drowning or I Need You Tonight. They are in essence, the sound track to my life.

You'd think this would be enough to capture my love. But it keeps on going. It's the personalities behind the musicians that is really what had me enamored from the beginning. Let's start with Nick. He was cast in the role as "the cute one" but that only scratches the surface of this amazing man. He's so cheerful and joyous. He's the most passionate performer on stage, which is so contagious. It's impossible not to be moved when you're watching him perform. He puts his heart and soul into everything he does whether its a song he's writing or a short movie he's directing.

Let's move along to AJ. What a down-to-earth, genuine human being. Here's another man who truly puts his heart into everything he does. He's so humble and really appreciates his fans. He's that ideal balance of an edgy bad boy and perfect gentleman. You look into those soft brown eyes and see such depth and warmth. It's captivating.

Brian adds a sense of whimsy to the group and can make you laugh even in the worst of times. I also have so much respect for him and his wholesome background and strong family values. That's hard to come by. And if that's not enough, his voice provides such a source of comfort. When you listen to him sing, it makes you feel like nothing else matters at that moment.

Rounding out the group is Howie. So humble and so giving. They don't call him Sweet D for nothing. He's always trying to do more for the fans and never once has taken his fame for granted. There's no feeling in the world akin to that of receiving one of Howie's infamous winks. He's so talented in so many ways. I also have such respect for him in how he balances BSB, his family, his fans, his solo career, his charity, other bands he manages, etc. The list goes on and on.

So far we have great looking guys, good voices, great songs, and one-of-a-kind personalities. I'm not stopping there though. They put on one hell of a show. They're all great dancers with some killer moves on stage. But one of my favorite things about their live performances are they make such a good effort to interact with their fans. They make eye contact with the fans, wave, wink, bring you up on stage. Whatever it takes to make you feel special. Another thing I love about their live shows are those extra little personal touches. No two shows are a like because they let their personalities shine on stage. The fun banter between them always makes me smile. They don't take themselves too seriously and they have fun with it. Other non-BSB concerts I've been to tend to be so overproduced that it could be anyone on stage. I enjoy Backstreet concerts so much because I get to see them be themselves. Plus they actually sing live at their concerts. Not all artists do that.

And the last thing (at least for the purposes of this post) - I know it's very cheesy and borderline cliche, but the Backstreet Boys have allowed me to meet some fantastic people and make really great friends. At the end of the day, that's what its all about. What fun is loving the Backstreet Boys if I can't gush over them with you all?

These are just a few of the countless reasons why I love them, so feel free to share below why you love the Backstreet Boys.

2 comments:

  1. "they make such a good effort to interact with their fans. They make eye contact with the fans, wave, wink, bring you up on stage. Whatever it takes to make you feel special." this is soooo true! I don't recall getting any special attention from NK while they were on stage. Yes Danny was a sweetheart and took pix with us but they don't look you in the eye when they are on stage.

    ReplyDelete