Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What to Expect: Q&A Session

I loved this event! I didn’t realize it beforehand, but it turned out to be a comedy hour. There were points I was laughing so hard, there were tears rolling down my eyes. I think this event is for the most part self explanatory but for those who didn’t get a chance to go on the cruise last year, I still wanted to provide a quick rundown of the event so there aren’t any major surprises. I’m also assuming they will do this event again, but of course there are no guarantees.

First thing to note, everyone has an equal opportunity to ask them a question. You will be emailed about a month before the cruise and asked to submit your question. For those who want to be exact, last year we got the email a month and a week out. The email stated “Got a Question for the Backstreet Boys? During the Q & A session with the boys, we will be randomly selecting from among the questions you give to us. PLEASE SUBMIT ONLY ONE QUESTION PER PERSON. MULTIPLE ENTRIES WILL RESULT IN ALL QUESTIONS BEING DISREGARDED.”

There is no need to get to this event early because you have assigned seats and all the questions have already been submitted. That always makes any event more relaxing. When it came time, the boys leisurely strolled out and just sat on 4 big chairs facing the audience. The entire event was very informal, which is another reason I really enjoyed it. I feel like they are more themselves in this type of setting. Plus this type of event is something that I’ve never been before. I’ve done concerts, I’ve done after parties, I’ve done meet and greets, but this was a first for me.

BSB During the Q&A

Back on track… The Backstreet Boys were not the ones who picked the questions, it was their manager Jen reading them aloud. Jen had her big stack of all the questions and she would read them to the boys. She would also make a point to state who asked the question and the person would just stand up while it was being asked. Unfortunately you don’t get the mic to ask them in person or get the opportunity to go on stage or anything of a sort. But I found that I enjoyed this model because they were able to get through more questions. Plus I liked that Jen could pick which questions were being asked. Otherwise I feel that people tend to go a little overboard, declare their love for the guys, and ask what I call ‘throwaway questions’. I guess it’s just a pet peeve of mine when fans ask “When are you coming to insert their country name here?” I like the questions that elicit a more creative response.

Which brings me us to the next subject- what sort of questions did fans ask? Well, I’m glad you asked. I can’t take credit for pouring through youtube to compose this list, so thank you Chrissy for doing the work for me! This list is not comprehensive, but close to it. I'’m also paraphrasing on the questions here.

  • Describe your experience of being a Backstreet Boy in one word.
  • What do you do during your days off?
  • What are the best ways to deal with those forgetting the dance steps/lyrics moments?
  • What are your guilty pleasures?
  • What do you do when you hear a BSB song on the radio? Do you sing along or change the channel?
  • If you were drag queens, what would your stage names be?
  • Is there any place in the world that’s on your list to visit that you've never been to?
  • We all have our favorite Backstreet Boy, so who is your favorite BSB?
  • If the members of New Kids on the Block were hanging off the edge of a cliff and you could only save one, who would you save?
  • Do you have any marriage advice? And PS- Nick when is it your turn?
  • What is your favorite song to sing?
  • What do you miss about the early years of BSB?
  • Boxers or Briefs?
  • Which female celebrity would be your hall pass/freebie?
  • What’s the most rockstar thing you’ve done?
  • What is your favorite unreleased song?
  • When are you visiting our cabins?
  • What are the future plans of BSB?
  • Which of the 7 deadly sins are you?
  • What is your favorite home cooked meal?
  • Are there any unreleased songs that you wished would have made it onto an album?
  • If you were to go on a cruise of another artist who would you pick?
  • Who would you want to meet dead or alive and what would you ask them?
  • Do you have any regrets?
  • What could you not live without?
  • What is the weirdest question you’ve ever been asked?
  • What is one song that you sing that no matter how many times you sing it, its like the first time.

Hopefully this helped give you an idea of what people asked. And hopefully this sparked some clever questions for you to come up with. I’ve been brainstorming but still can’t come up with something I’m happy with. I want it to be unique.

If I recall correctly the entire event lasted about an hour and 20 minutes. And I loved every minute of it! I'm really looking forward to the q&a session this year, should they do it again.

3 comments:

  1. omg laura...im dying over here thinking about their answers!!!...does it get any funnier than the ironing board story??? haha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm going on my first BSB cruise this year and I am so excited! I cruised on the Carnival Imagination last year, so I will know my way around :)

    I splurged and went for the Ocean View suite with the balcony. I hope I get my money's worth!

    I CAN'T WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1- Yes, there is no way you can top the ironing board story. That was just so incredibly random and I didnt expect that to come from Howie at all. Love it! My favorite Q&A question though has to be was when they asked the guys if they sing along to their own songs. Nick- “It’s so funny because I don’t ever hear it on the radio. I hear it in an elevator or grocery store. And its freaken elevator music half the time so I have to listen to it while I’m buying milk”
    Howie- “I actually get excited when I hear it in the grocery store. I like want to tell people ‘Hey hey, that's me!"

    2- Adrienne, so glad you're enjoying my blog! I love hearing positive feedback :) Shoot me an email at chaosroks128@netscape.net if there are any questions you might have. I'll do my best to answer them.

    ReplyDelete